Who Are We ?
NDSSG is a parent-led organisation that provides a range of support services to parents, carers and siblings. Through these, we aim to enrich the lives of children and adults with Downs Syndrome from the county of Nottinghamshire, and their families.
It is run by parents who are part of a management committee. The committee meets regularly to organize social events for families and carers, fundraising activities and any other support needed within the area we serve. We are in the process of becoming a charity and hope this will be completed very soon.
We look forward to getting to know you!
What Do We Do ?
We currently offer support and activities to about 180 families who live in and around the Nottinghamshire area. The type of support we offer is to :
- Provide new baby packs to all families of babies born in a Nottinghamshire hospital, via the specialist paediatricians
- Organise a regular weekly parent and toddler group for families of pre-school children 0-4 years.
- Run a football club for children and adults, 5-35 years old, who have Downs Syndrome and other learning disabilities, that meets every week.
- Run dance sessions for our members 5+ years, that meet on a monthly basis.
- Organise regular big events for all our families throughout the year, eg Christmas Party, Summer Fun Day, October Disco, Easter Egg Hunt etc. Plus occasional smaller events aimed at particular age groups.
- Communicate with our members via the website, Facebook, Instagram, email and our YouTube channel.
- Work closely with the local hospitals, offering support to families (who contact us) who are expecting a baby with Down syndrome.
- Promote awareness of Down syndrome in the wider community, including sharing stories and creating fun v Engage in fundraising activities