Who Are We ?
NDSSG is a parent-led organisation that provides a range of support services to parents, carers and siblings. Through these, we aim to enrich the lives of children and adults with Downs Syndrome from the county of Nottinghamshire, and their families.
It is run by parents who are part of a management committee. The committee meets regularly to organize social events for families and carers, fundraising activities and any other support needed within the area we serve. We are in the process of becoming a charity and hope this will be completed very soon.
We look forward to getting to know you!
What Do We Do ?
We currently offer support and activities to about 180 families who live in and around the Nottinghamshire area. The type of support we offer is to :
- Provide new baby packs to all families of babies born in a Nottinghamshire hospital, via the specialist paediatricians
- Organise a regular weekly parent and toddler group for families of pre-school children 0-4 years.
- Run a football club for children and adults, 5-35 years old, who have Downs Syndrome and other learning disabilities, that meets every week.
- Run dance sessions for our members 5+ years, that meet on a monthly basis.
- Organise regular big events for all our families throughout the year, eg Christmas Party, Summer Fun Day, October Disco, Easter Egg Hunt etc. Plus occasional smaller events aimed at particular age groups.
- Communicate with our members via the website, Facebook, Instagram, email and our YouTube channel.
- Work closely with the local hospitals, offering support to families (who contact us) who are expecting a baby with Down syndrome.
- Promote awareness of Down syndrome in the wider community, including sharing stories and creating fun v Engage in fundraising activities
NDSSG has their very own football team called Education Warriors FC. The team are sponsored by some amazing local businesses and formed in partnership with a local community club. Most of the players have Downs Syndrome, but we decided to open it to all players with a moderate to severe learning disability. The club has over 50 regular members, divided into two different age groups.
Recently some of the players had the wonderful opportunity to be mascots at a football match. It was the FA qualifier between Notts County women and Kettering Town. Two of the Warriors coaches play for Notts County, so it was a perfect situation.
The players (almost) all did their mascot duties brilliantly – apart from one player who decided to defect to the other team and become their mascot instead! But both teams said that they really enjoyed the experience, sharing the pitch with the Warriors.
At half time our team took part in a penalty shoot out, which was enjoyed and well supported by the crowd. Some wonderful goals were scored and celebrated by the players and spectators alike.
Notts County won the match 2:0, with both goals being scored by one of the Warriors team coaches!
A great day for everyone, loads of smiles and hopefully some more awareness raised!!!
Dates For Your Diary.....
Downs Syndrome Awareness month starts on the 1st October. For 1 whole month we will be dedicated to spreading awareness and showing the positivity in our lives, that comes from knowing and loving someone who has Down Syndrome. We will be posting daily awareness stories, written by our Nottinghamshire support group families, on our open Facebook page. Please make a point of liking, commenting on and sharing our daily awareness posts and lets get some good positive awareness going!
Alice Wilson Memorial Cup
Special Cup Match: 6pm – 7pm
DS Awareness Month Fancy Dress Disco
Friday 29th October 2021
6.30pm – 10.00pm
This isn’t officially a Halloween Disco (as we are aware some families don’t celebrate it, for religious reasons, and don’t want to exclude anyone).
However, the date corresponds with the end of DOWNS SYNDROME AWARENESS MONTH, so it’s a great time to get all dressed up for a celebration! And if you want to wear Halloween fancy dress, you’re more than welcome!
It’s going to be a wonderful time for people of all ages to get together and have fun together. There won’t be a buffet, but there will be plenty of cupcakes, fruit and crisps/snacks for everyone! And drinks will be available to buy at the bar.
For More Info click here: Fancy Dress Disco